Monday 10 March 2014

Ratu at Te Papa | by Tama

Wow! I didn't know you could take a look, a peek inside, taking time back, seeing what they saw, like mice with thousands of eyes staring down at us, daring, ready to make sure we didn't steal what was theirs.


Waddling away, staring at the empty white eyes, I gulp thinking, a mouse, a cat, a target.

My name is Tama. I gulp again, trying not to stare. I move out of the pataka (storage house). I know it's Tuesday but it feels like Ratu. I sit down thinking and start drawing. I wonder why everybody else is so calm. Suddenly I'm worrying. I look behind me and I see a bunch of tourists. I turn back around but my gut and my instinct are still worrying and then I realise that the class is going to the marae.

I run ahead to keep up with the class and go to the marae.

     "OK class, I-- blah blah blah..."
I start to fall asleep.
     "Tama?!"
     "What did I say?"
     "Um," I say, suddenly jerked to life.
     "You must've been off to fairyland."
     "I guess so, yeah."
     "Start drawing!"
I start drawing. I'm only halfway through when the teacher says to the class:
     "Lunchtime!"
     "Yay!" all the kids say.

After lunch we go back to school and then go home.

When we get back to school I say to Grandad, "can we go to Te Papa?"
     "Um," says Grandad.


8 comments:

  1. Wow Tama!! By starting right in the moment you took me straight to the Marae with you! Some of the best writing I have seen all year, ka pai!!
    -Jarryd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jarryd. You are a great teacher. Tama

      Delete
  2. I listened to your Syndicate's karakia and waiata yesterday morning.
    Do you know why the kahikatea tree is important? Also, do you know how long this tree lives?
    This year we planted five kahikatea on Victory Park.
    Tama's Granddad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good imagination, Tamuri. Lets you travel in time!

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed writing this. Tama PS: I am commenting on my own writing!

    And I enjoyed reading it! Marama

    PS: Amy, there were a couple of mistakes - Tama was worrying not waving, and waddling, not wading. But we are not sure how to fix them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for letting me know Marama - I've fixed up my mistakes. Sorry Tama!
    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story, Tama. It made me think/reflect and laugh at the same time. And it was especially cool to read because I was there with you on the day, and I remember you looking a bit worried. Love the dialogue - and the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for reading my writing.

    And thanks for correcting those mistakes Amy!

    Tama

    ReplyDelete