Thursday 20 March 2014

Ireland | by Niamh

Ireland

The dusty blankets feel cosy. Old photos of guns and little girls rest on the wall. From downstairs I can hear laughing. I wonder when I can meet my aunts, uncles and cousins.

I was excited and shy at the same time. The house was creepy. The curtains shook and the wind howled.

In the morning

The sun shone through the windows. I got dressed and went downstairs. The house was quiet and I walked in to the living room. I snuggled up in my grandad’s armchair. Suddenly I heard a thumping sound. Someone was coming down the stairs. It was Thomas with a game of monopoly. He won.

I put on my jacket and went outside. It was a small garden (it wasn’t really a garden) and only the little plants made their way through the cracks in the concrete. I stayed out there until Grandma came down to make breakfast. I sat up at the table and ate my pancakes.

It was 4 weeks until we left Ireland and I wanted to make the best of it. In those 4 weeks I fed horses, met my extended family and had fun. Then it was time to go. I hugged my aunts and uncles and hugged them again. I can’t wait to meet them again.

By Niamh 

8 comments:

  1. Niamh, this piece of writing so vividly evokes the strange dislocated feeling of being somewhere unknown, as well as the homecoming feeling of being with family. It made me feel like crying, as I was reminded of special times with my family on the other side of the world. Thankyou ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Niamh, I love the way this story moves from your wondering and apprehension "I was shy and excited" to how you felt about your aunts and uncles at the end of the week "I hugged my aunts and uncles and hugged them again." Great stuff. Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely Niamh. I remember you snuggling up on Grandad's armchair and it's especially lovely for me to read your impression of the home where I grew up! Dad x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niamh, it was lovely having you in Ireland, and I am so glad that you loved it also. It was a lovely time for us all, and you write very well about it. Hope to see you here again, you are always welcome. Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant, I can see it all. The room is where you're two cousins (Holly & Sophia) sleep when we (Martin and Auntie Grace) visit granny and grandad's. It's the bedroom that looks the same as when your aunts Grace and Monica shared it! Most of the backyard is concretes and plants do grow in the cracks. In the grassy part down the end, where the tree was, is filled with bluebells in spring. I hope you come back to Ireland to see it and to spend time with us too. Write more of your story please for us to enjoy once again.
    Lots of Love,
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Niamh. Really nice writing, that has the ability to make it so visual. I can see in my mind exactly what you experienced. The only bad thing is that it ended. I'd also love to read more. Your cousins keep asking when can we have more sleep overs with you. Looking forward to see you again,
    love Aunty Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Niamh, how wonderful to read this! Your writing always captures wee moments that create atmosphere and hook in your readers. You describe what was around you and how you felt so well. Lovely writing Niamh, cheers Alyson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful recollection, Niamh. I'm glad we could all read it. Frith (Luca's mum)

    ReplyDelete